Virginia Beach Grandparents' Rights Lawyer
Protecting the Rights of Grandparents in Virginia
The Virginia courts recognize that grandparents have an important role to play in the lives of their grandchildren. In some cases, grandparents may seek to obtain visitation or custody rights. If you are a grandparent seeking such rights, an experienced attorney can help you navigate the family law system.
At Edge Law, our attorneys have more than 100 years of collective experience and have helped grandparents obtain visitation in thousands of cases. We understand the family law system and can help you pursue your rights.
Types of Visitation and Custody for Grandparents
When disputes arise over visitation or custody, grandparents have the same rights as any other third party. The court will determine the best interests of the child and will look at the child's relationship with the grandparents.
Under Virginia law, grandparents have the same visitation and custody rights as any other third party. The court will consider the following factors in determining the best interests of the child:
- the ties between the child and the grandparents;
- the love, affection, and other emotional ties existing between the child and the grandparents;
- the length of time the child has lived in a stable, satisfactory environment;
- the capacity and disposition of the grandparents to love and care for the child;
- the ability of the grandparents to provide a stable environment for the child;
- the willingness of the parents to allow the child's relationship with the grandparents;
- the ability of the grandparents to provide financial support for the child;
- the moral character of the grandparents; and
- the fitness of the grandparents.
If the grandparents seek visitation or custody, they must prove that their request is in the best interests of the child.
Contact Edge Law for Help
Responsive, professional and urgent to my caseShervon W
Results-Driven & Efficient
Our primary goal as a firm is to deliver results efficiently and effectively. You can trust us to fight aggressively for your rights.
Constant Client Communication
We understand what you're going through and will ensure that you are informed every step of the way.
Personal Attention to Each Client
We understand that every case is unique, our attorneys will provide a personalized plan of action that best fits your case.
Over 5 Decades of Combined Experience
Our attorneys have over 5 decades of combined experience in zealously representing our clients in various legal aspects.