Domestic violence is considered a very serious criminal offense and is penalized as such in the state of Virginia. At Edge Law, we are committed to protecting the rights of individuals facing domestic violence charges. Our Virginia Beach domestic violence attorneys are prepared to provide effective legal representation for those caught in the complexities of such cases.
Call Edge Law today at (757) 367-8253 or contact us online to schedule a consultation with our domestic violence attorney in Virginia Beach.
What is Domestic Violence?
Domestic violence refers to abusive behavior or violence that occurs within a domestic setting, typically between family members, intimate partners, or individuals who share a household. It encompasses various forms of abuse, including physical, emotional, sexual, and financial abuse. In Virginia Beach, domestic violence is a serious legal issue, and the state has specific laws and regulations in place to address and combat this problem.
Domestic violence may involve acts such as:
- Physical violence, including hitting, slapping, or choking.
- Threats of harm or intimidation.
- Stalking or harassment.
- Verbal and emotional abuse.
- Sexual assault or abuse.
- Economic control or financial abuse.
What are the Penalties for Domestic Violence in Virginia?
The penalties for domestic violence in Virginia may differ depending on the specific circumstances of the case. However, they often include both criminal and civil consequences. It's crucial to consult with an experienced Virginia Beach domestic violence lawyer who can assess your situation and provide tailored advice.
- Criminal Penalties: Conviction for domestic violence can result in criminal penalties such as jail or prison time, fines, probation, mandatory counseling or anger management classes, and restraining orders to protect the victim. The severity of these penalties depends on the nature and severity of the abuse, any prior criminal record, and other factors.
- Civil Penalties: In addition to the criminal impacts, domestic violence cases can also lead to civil consequences, including protective orders. A protective order can restrict contact with the alleged victim and may affect child custody and visitation rights. Violating a protective order can result in further legal repercussions.
Defenses Against Domestic Violence Charges
Some possible defenses against domestic violence charges may include:
- False Accusations: In some instances, individuals may falsely accuse others of domestic violence out of spite, revenge, or to gain an advantage in a family law matter. We can help expose the truth and challenge these accusations.
- Self-Defense: If you were acting in self-defense to protect yourself from harm, you may have a valid defense. We can help gather evidence to support your claim.
- Lack of Evidence: The prosecution must be able to prove its case beyond a reasonable doubt. If there is insufficient evidence to support the charges, your attorney can challenge the case's credibility.
- Violation of Rights: If law enforcement had violated your constitutional rights at the time of the arrest or investigation, this can be a basis for having evidence excluded or the charges dismissed.
- Mistaken Identity: In some cases, domestic violence allegations may be based on mistaken identity, and we can help establish your innocence.
Responsive, professional and urgent to my caseShervon W
At Edge Law, our Virginia Beach domestic violence lawyers are dedicated to protecting your rights. We will work tirelessly to build a strong defense and help you achieve the best possible outcome for your case. Your future is too important to leave to chance, so trust Edge Law to fight for you.
Contact Edge Law today to get started with our Virginia Beach domestic violence lawyer.
Results-Driven & Efficient
Our primary goal as a firm is to deliver results efficiently and effectively. You can trust us to fight aggressively for your rights.
Constant Client Communication
We understand what you're going through and will ensure that you are informed every step of the way.
Personal Attention to Each Client
We understand that every case is unique, our attorneys will provide a personalized plan of action that best fits your case.
Over 5 Decades of Combined Experience
Our attorneys have over 5 decades of combined experience in zealously representing our clients in various legal aspects.